Friday, 10 February 2017
Ancient Romans Wall Collapse at Pompeii after Flash Storms-October 22, 2011
The wall, built with the Roman "opus incertum" technique using irregularly shaped stones and concrete, collapsed on a stretch of the ancient city’s external walls, near the Porta di Nola, in an area open to the public.
An archaeological team is assessing the damage but there is no risk to public safety, the spokeswoman told AFP.
The collapse happened on Friday, a day after heavy storms lashed Italy, causing flash floods across parts of the country which killed two people, brought the capital Rome to a temporary standstill and left damage in its wake.
"I have publicly said several times how worried I am about the effect that violent rains could have on Pompeii," Culture Minister Giancarlo Galan said in a statement released Saturday afternoon.
He said the ministry was working on "a plan to salvage and secure the site" and called on curators "to act immediately to put in place the most urgent security measures".
The collapse of a renowned gladiators’ house and another wall at the ancient site last year caused international outrage and widespread alarm that the volcano-stricken Roman city had fallen into serious disrepair.
Galan, who was appointed culture minister in March, said he will visit Pompeii on Wednesday with European commissioner Johannes Hahn to "unblock European funding of 105 million euros ($145 million) for the site".
Pompeii, entombed by a massive eruption of the nearby Mount Vesuvius volcano in AD 79, was partly excavated and is now one of the world’s best-preserved ancient sites, attracting some 2.5 million visitors a year.
But the UNESCO World Heritage site has been plagued by problems in recent years and in July 2008 Italy declared a "state of emergency" for Pompeii.